Monday, December 9, 2013

You Are More Than An “It”

When it comes to your body, how do you regard yourself? I am often reflecting on the value of handling ourselves with kindness and responding to our inner voices with a gentle, benevolent attitude, but there is a place where the very words we choose and the attitude we take has an impact that might not be so readily apparent. We were born here on earth in the form of a physical body. And yet, we talk about our body as if “it” does something to us, or “it” fails us, or “it” hurts. We bring "it" to a doctor hoping to get "it" fixed as we would a car to a mechanic, but the problem is that we don’t actually work that way. I have been witnessing people’s physical struggles and am realizing that I can play a greater part in relaying a whole picture of what I’ve learned about health and why it matters. I hope this post will not only give insight into what I do in my work, which centers around health -- physical, emotional and mental health, but will also open the door to ways of seeing, questioning, and being with the amazing reality that we exist here in a physical form and how we might want to go about it.

I remember when my father was in the hospital struggling with lung cancer, there were times where some count was low. It might have been platelets, or white blood cells, or potassium and one deficiency would cause another reaction or failure. It was the first time I got an unshakable understanding that our body works as a whole system and depends on all of its parts functioning together. And, if I think about why he had lung cancer and what was behind his habit of smoking, the emotional and mental come blaring to the forefront. In other cases, I have seen how untended to stress and tension, built up over long periods of time, culminated in tense abdominal and pelvic floor muscles that then wreaked havoc on the digestive system and a potential physical collapse throughout the body. The lesson I’ve learned in witnessing physical struggle is that to maintain good health, we need to be mindful on many levels and we need to stop regarding our bodies as if they do something to us.

We do not get better, improve, feel good by addressing the physical, the mental or emotional as separate and unrelated. And, we need to remind ourselves that our thoughts and emotions play just as large a role in how we feel physically as do our lungs or big toes. When we approach ourselves with that understanding, if we have pain in our back, we don’t say, “I don’t know what’s wrong with it; I want it to go away” rather we say, “I’m feeling pain in my back and I’m not sure what I need to feel better; I wonder what the pain is trying to say and what I need.” The difference is greater than the words alone might suggest. When we regard ourselves with this kind of inquiry and care, we are paying attention; we are taking responsibility; we are being kind; we are listening. From this space, real lasting change happens. The alternative wants a quick fix, a pill, a procedure, an answer. There’s no learning, growth, or true healing in that approach and more likely than not, the issue will return. This sense of separation shows itself in our attitudes about exercising or eating well.  They feel like something we “should” do for our body. But, if we could listen to why it might be hard to make a change in nutrition or physical activity, we might learn more about what is really in the way and have a greater possibility for change. Again, as I am often coming back to, when we look at fear, it becomes less scary.

In my own life, I remember being transformed when I went to a skilled physical therapist who specializes in Feldenkrais Method work. I went in for back pain. I was chronically sore and tight and finally in exasperation that I was not improving I said, “I am working so hard to get better!”  In response, he said, “maybe you don’t need to work hard, maybe you need to do less.” I have not forgotten those words. Something shifted in me in hearing them. I started to let go of controlling how I’d get better and in doing so, I softened, physically and mentally. It spilled over into all areas of my life. I recognized how hard I had been working in all ways. Partly it had to do with his touch and direction, partly it had to do with his words, partly it had to do with our relating.  The process changed me over time and even beyond the time I worked with him. That is what true healing looks like and it is not something to be rushed or even attained. Healing is growing and we have a choice to keep growing throughout our life.

Knowing that we have the amazing capacity to transform ourselves and that maintaining good health requires a multi-layered approach is the reason why I do the work I do, in all the forms I do it. I teach meditation; I use touch to help people let go; I guide people to see what they do in posture and movement; I inquire about feelings in the body and where they are stored so they can be acknowledged and transformed in that process; I ask people to stay with themselves just as they are and not run from what appears to be uncomfortable; I make visible what is well; I listen; and I am solid in my presence and in the trust of that relationship alone there is healing. It is not always obvious; it is not necessarily a quick fix, though it could be. The healing is in the process.

What we as therapists, healers, teachers can do is create a space for this kind of attention and guide clients with compassion, presence, and hopefully with a new perspective. The most important information and discovery comes from the client herself. We have wisdom built in. Sometimes we just need to remember where the key to the door that holds it is. When we stop regarding our bodies as things we are in, we have opened that door and we begin living with deeper insight, more compassion and understanding. A whole new world awaits there. Life is no longer happening to us. We are living fully and suddenly self-care has a new and more significant meaning.

  • Regard your whole self with kindness.
  • Give compassionate attention to what your body is saying and be willing to ask and listen.
  • Remember when your mind is busy with thoughts and feelings to come down into your body and tend to how they feel on a physical level. From there, you may find clarity.
  • Get support from a person or a group you trust. It is not a luxury as it pays itself off in much greater and lasting ways over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment