Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Replenish, Refresh, Renew

 


Summer officially started last week. In my town, for those kids who showed up, today was "technically" the last day of school. Thank goodness! I always loved the end of a school year and the sense of freedom that came with it. Though, as an adult, it's not quite the same because adult responsibilities still go on, I enjoy how the town gets quiet, the long days of light bring a feeling of greater spaciousness and slower time, and the invitation to play, whether I take it or not, sits on my table ready to be opened. 

The academic calendar is forever engrained in me and so these months are the time when I welcome a shift in my schedule, in my drive, in my sense of duty. We all need a season to be replenished, refreshed, and renewed.

Whether summer is your favorite or least favorite season, my invitation this week is to ask yourself what needs to be replenished, refreshed, renewed during these months? Like a gentle mist of cool water on your face on a hot day. Ask the question, close your eyes, and wait to hear what comes? See if what arises at first captures it. If it does, what does it feel like to acknowledge it? If it doesn't, listen some more, and see what feels true. Then ask, "what would bring me the feeling of being replenished, refreshed, and renewed?" Here are some questions and examples to help inspire the answer...

  • Is there a certain activity that brings the feeling? (Swimming in a fresh water pond, reading novels, sitting outside at night watching fireflies).
  • Is it giving yourself permission to change a routine? If so, what is it? (Sleeping in, staying up late, loosening up on family "rules" that, though helpful during the school year, cause more friction than they are worth in the summer).
  • Is it letting go of something you do? (Not listening to/reading the news, not working in those afterwork hours, not mowing the lawn and hiring someone instead, not doing everyone's laundry because they are around and can help, not planning every meal, but dividing up the task). 
  • Does it involve play, rest, creativity, movement? (Going to concerts, taking tennis lessons, signing up for a jewelry and metalsmithing class, and I can't leave out... meditating with a group).

I welcome you to write to me and share what you found. There is something about saying it to someone that makes the follow through more likely.  Remember that when you replenish yourself, you benefit everyone. Being burnt out, depleted, run down, or stuck in a rut doesn't help us to connect, create, share, inspire, or add joy to life. We don't have to change everything, just some simple shifts can bring renewal. Most importantly, when you are doing them, really take in what it feels like. Let yourself be replenished.

🌼
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment