Thursday, February 3, 2022

February Food For Thought


The first month of the year has come to a close. I don't usually do this, but because I started this year with the motto "be bravely in your life in 2022," I am being a bit more intentional in what seeds I am watering, taking one month at a time. It's a nice time to pause and reflect on what was "good" in those first few weeks of the year. And when I say "good," I mean all the moments/events/actions that brought connection, ease, love, joy, space, freedom, letting go, rest, nourishment, meaning/purpose, inspiration, growth etc. There's usually a lot more than we realize, even with hardship mixed in, but we have to consciously stop to notice.

Would you stop with me now and write down all of what positively came to you in January? Make a list and next to each one, write down what it brought you. My list had these words: excitement, joy, relief, ease, hope, purpose, possibility, presence, inspiration, awakening.

No matter what happened in January, now we can lean in again and start again in February. You might ask?

What would I most like to let go of this month?
What would I most like to nourish in myself?
What would I most like to give this month (give with joy)?

Lastly, I'd like to offer this food for thought...

Over the past couple of weeks, in A Mindful Life, we have been exploring two notions: 1) that we are all inherently powerful (and because of this we need mindfulness!) and 2) in seeing where we place negative assessments (on ourselves, others, situations) we explored what it is like to remove concepts like right/wrong and good/bad. In the second exercise we called up an experience that we have judged negatively and tried it on again, but without that lens.

From a facilitator's view, back to back, these exercises seem like they bring us to opposite ends -– feeling powerful vs. the feeling the shame that comes with judgement. They have been rich conversations. I welcome you to listen to this week's talk on being powerful and see what comes for you in recognizing it (tip...it may require letting go of judging the word "powerful"). You might start to notice when you feel powerful and when you don't and what makes the difference. (I'm referring to an inner sense of being powerful, not power over others). 2) You might try on a situation from your past where you have judged yourself and see what happens if you let go of the idea that "what I did was right/wrong, good/bad" and see what comes instead. What emerges when you drop your thoughts about what you did and just feel what went on and sense through the lens of experiencing. Compassion is a lot more likely to emerge from that place, but please let me know what you discover.


Wishing you all an inspired week in the depths of winter.
💙❄️
Jean

P.S. Interested in meditation, as well as the topics we dive into? Reach out if you want to discuss joining A Mindful Life in the next segment. Segments roll around and begin again every 8 weeks or so. And the next Morning of Mindfulness is coming up on February 12th. Space is limited, so register today.

No comments:

Post a Comment