Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Joy in Humility

 


I began this year wanting to nourish more inner lightness and joy. Not the kind that comes with doing fun or playful things, though of course those are nice, but the kind that comes from inside, not dependent on temporary conditions. As the first week of the year came to a close, a different word came that felt like the path to this inner joy. The word is "humility." When I tried it on, it felt so profound I had to share it in my groups as an exercise and I am excited to share it with all of you.

The process goes like this...

1) If we remember that what we are physically made of -- this body is made of all these elements that are not distinctly me (water, minerals, plants, the sun, etc.) and our personalities, the way we move, the way we think, talk, listen has been influenced by numerous conditions and people -- our parents, ancestors, teachers, friends, communities, cultures, genes, what we start to understand is what we think of as "I" is actually much greater than "I." We start to see that our interdependence and interconnection makes our over-identification with "I" start to break down. It makes us much more humble as we realize that who we are is way beyond us alone.

2)  From here we can notice when we get caught in trying to control something (a situation, someone else), or when we get caught in our opinions and perspectives and think, "I am right," or we start thinking, "I know what should happen" or what someone else should do, or when we start trying to fix (and maybe feel like a failure when we can't). Once we are aware of these arising, we can stop and ask, "what would be different if I met this with greater humility? What would change if I remembered that this situation is much greater than me? So many conditions and elements have come together for this to be manifest. Alone, I cannot fix it, change it, nor am I solely responsible for it, nor do I "know" for sure what needs to happen or that my perspective is the right one." It can be such a relief when we get some humility back. It's not passivity, but clear seeing, allowing, and opening.

For me, this brings tremendous lightness of being. I soften, am less righteous, less blaming, less controlling, more willing to not know, to learn, to understand, to be curious, to be "wrong", to let go, to listen instead of talk. It feels more joyful and even hopeful.

My invitation this week is whenever you notice yourself contracting against something that is going on, or anytime you feel yourself trying to control, or whenever you feel righteous or blaming, or when you are in fix it mode, to ask, "what would be different if I met this with greater humility?" (Tip: if you feel resistance, as if you can't let go of your way, shift the question to see why you are holding on. Most likely, there is an underlying need that wants acknowledgment first. You don't have to fill the need, but this would be a necessary step before you can move into a place of humility.)

Wishing you a week of simple joys and lightness of being. 

🙏
Jean 

No comments:

Post a Comment