Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Finding Grace



A rainy Memorial Day weekend it has been! Last week I wrote about how vital it is to take pauses and how much I was looking forward to our weekend away. If you're in the northeast you know it has rained for three solid days. Not just light rain, but non-stop, bring-it-on rain. We made the best of it in our Airbnb in Accord, New York. We rested, ate yummy food, had a lot of good laughs (especially surrounding the bats in the chimney who were highly active throughout the night), enjoyed an amazing fire (no worries -- we were told the bats would leave and return and they did). I snapped this picture of the daisies, not letting rain the deter me from pulling over on the road and enjoying the fields of flox, the wild iris, the baby deer, and the awe inspiring sight of a bald eagle as we walked along the Ashokan Reservoir. Yes, despite the rain, or maybe because of the rain, we paused even further. It was a beautiful weekend. The grace was in letting go what I wanted it to be so that I could take in what it actually was. And what it was, was a gift.


Grace. It was the theme of last week's A Mindful Life groups and I am enamored with it. Fortunately, I don't have a negative religious association with the word that gets in the way of my being able to appreciate it. I know some do. In my groups, I heard so many wonderful descriptions about what it would be like to meet something with grace. What words/feelings/images capture it for you? Someone said the word "mature" came to mind and the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me. I don't think I could say I handled things with grace in my 20's or even in my 30's. I'm only just now starting to get it. I think it often comes with age and it makes sense that it would. We stop fighting (with ourselves, with others, with the way we want life to be) and realize the fight is within and there is another way. To handle myself and what arises with grace is to let go, to receive, to flow, to open, to welcome, to trust and be fearless, to be grateful, to be present and generous. Grace is not hurried. Grace does not require me to be "right." Grace is not submissive, but is not forceful. Grace has clarity and intention. Grace is soft and quietly, humbly powerful. When I think of powerful leaders I admire, they all led and dealt with hardships with grace. 
These days, I find myself asking: how might I meet this issue before me with grace (this problem, confusion, obstacle, decision, relationship, etc.). The question brings me back to my highest intentions. My invitation this week is to imagine some situation you are facing and see  yourself approaching it with grace. How do you hold yourself differently, respond differently? What is the felt sense as you call it up?

When we are in the middle of a hard moment, we can't call it up instantly from imagining it once, but we can strengthen that seed in us. In listening to the people who shared in my groups, I noticed that sometimes we first need to meet ourselves with grace before we can meet a situation with it. See if that applies to you if you get stuck.


I hope you all found some ways to enjoy pausing over this long weekend. I am reminded to take one now, on this Memorial Day, to honor all of the men and women who sacrificed their lives on our behalf. Join me in honoring them with gratefulness. 


🙏🌼
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment