Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Does Your Productivity Dictate Your Value?



When the pandemic was at its peak here I didn't experience what some people did -- a sense of too much time without somewhere to go or something to do. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I felt too busy during the past year and a half. It's only now, because of certain conditions, that I have had more open space and time. As I spoke about last night in meditation, (see the recording below), it has me questioning what it means to be productive and, if I am more productive, am I of more value? Do they have to go together? 

What I am learning is that the less "productive" I am, the more fully I get to experience what's here. To be less productive feels more productive in the ways that actually matter to me. Don't get me wrong, I still find it challenging to let myself do less, to have that permission. I am retraining myself. The challenge is an exciting one as I discover, in a deeper way, how I can let myself go slower, be more present in my actions and words, move with more ease and grace and trust that it all works out better that way. That's the key -- trusting. If I value living this way, then I will live better and if I live better, I will have "more," not less. In that scenario, everything has greater value.

I'm working on it. And if you feel so inspired, I welcome you to join me this fall. My invitation to you this week is to read this and maybe even listen to the short talk below and see what arises in you around how much you do and what you believe about your productivity and self worth. Is there any part of you that calls out to change the way you have organized yourself in this regard? What would it take to shift that mindset to be more aligned with what you value. Don't get caught in the details or the "how" of it. At first, just feel in your body what it would be like and let the feeling motivate you. Then, try on one small action. Maybe you walk slower every time you walk to your car or the train this week. Or maybe you take three deep breaths before you hop out of bed in the morning, before you do anything else. Maybe you look at your week and eliminate something from it. Maybe you let some things on your to-do list that, in the grand scheme of things don't really matter, fall by the wayside.

You don't have to do it all. No one is counting points and if you think they are, this might be worth some gentle looking at. Who, in you, is counting and what's the fear underneath the counting? If we tend to the fear by leaning into it, the part thats counting just might take a break. With compassion, we can rewire our organization to productivity so that it feels healthier, kinder, happier to our bodies and minds. If I can assist you in this process, please let me know.


🍁
Jean

Photo by Emily Feinsod

No comments:

Post a Comment