Sunday, January 2, 2022

Honoring Darkness


In the summer, as a kid, my mom etched the sun into my psyche. She made it clear that while she was at work, my brother and I should be outside, not in the house watching TV or at any indoor facility. We should be in the light. To this day, if the sun is out, I don’t feel right being inside. At least some moment of the day should be spent soaking in some Vitamin D (and this was engrained in me in the 80’s before Vitamin D was something prescribed!). As you might imagine, winters were not favored in my household. I wonder, now, had we embraced the darkness and found ways to be in it that felt good, if a whole part of the year could have been more rewarding and not something to get through.


Here we are, again, at the shortest day of the year, where there is more darkness than light and I am delighted to meet it. Each year I feel more excited about honoring this period of darkness and its subtle turn toward light as something organic, essential, and valuable. It’s certainly a lot more empowering and peaceful choosing to enter into it and letting it envelope me like a warm sleeping bag rather than fight it.

It makes sense that the darkness can be uncomfortable for those who like to know, who like clarity and being able to see what’s here. The dark represents the unknown, what we can’t see, what is mysterious. It calls us inside. It asks for a different, quieter, listening, sensing energy. For those who like to “do” this can clash with the need for action, movement, and the satisfaction that comes with feeling productive throughout many hours of the day. But, darkness has its own purpose and if we don’t fear it or resist it, it can offer many gifts to us. 

My invitation is to take a pause tonight to honor the winter solstice. To stop with sun’s stillness and enjoy the turning of this circle where light will start to lengthen the days once again. Trusting in the process and enjoying the process, we don’t have rush to get to the light. It will come, but in the meantime, what is this moment of darkness like? How might we enjoy it right now? And what gifts can you find in the dark?

Happy Winter Solstice. To those celebrating, I wish you a joyful and very Merry Christmas.

❄️❤️🎄
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment