Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Do You Have Permission?



The nature of our wanting-mind or desiring-mind is that it is never full. Its hunger is never satiated. The illusion it creates is that we need something more and once we get it, then we will be full. A part of us really believes it, too. Unfortunately, that satiation is temporary. We will crave again. This isn't good or bad, it's just what is and when we can recognize it, we can help ourselves avoid suffering. 

To recognize desiring-mind doesn't mean that we deprive ourselves of what we want or that we don't get to enjoy whatever it might be. But if we can understand its changing nature and we can then lean into what we are looking to fill underneath that one desire. We can still choose to go after what we want, but we can do it with the awareness that it won't be the end and that what we really want, we already have access to inside of us.


Does this sound familiar? "If I only arrive at that place where… 
…my career is just the way I want it.
…my children are happy and on a 'good' path. 
…my house is orderly, comfortable, and forever clean. 
…my body is strong, lean, and pain free. 
…or my finances are what I think they should be...well then I will be content." 
 
That's the illusion and it feels so tempting to believe. But, like you, my higher self knows differently. She has seen, time and time again, just how unhappy people are with all of those things in place. So. what do we do when we hear the Sirens call -- those magical women in Ulysses who would lure men to steer their ships into rocks? Do we strap ourselves down as Ulysses did to avoid the temptation? 
 
We could and often we try with diets, budgets, periods of abstinence (from drinking, social media, sex, shopping, etc.), resolutions, only to find that we can't keep it up. Of course we can't. We are human. It's not a "bad" thing. That same wanting-mind can get us out of unhealthy situations, can create much needed change, can be the motivator for action and movement. But, if wanting to feel whole, complete, satisfied, full, is what we ultimately want, is there another way? How about having your own permission to receive?

I invite you to try this on... When someone compliments you, are you able to receive it without justifying it, downplaying what they noticed, passing credit on to something/someone else, disbelieving it? When you are offered an opportunity, do you take it or turn it down and keep going (out of fear) without pausing to take in all of what made the opportunity possible? Do you receive a degree, complete a project, get a promotion, start a new venture and forget to stop and appreciate what you accomplished and all that brought it to fruition (the people, conditions, efforts of others)? Do you awake and forget that the rising sun is a gift we get to let in? This struggle is a gift waiting to be understood? 

I know I have done all of these things. One of the many blessings of maturing is that I am steadily remembering what I think we are born knowing (until fear sets in). I am whole already. The gifts are constantly coming. I get in my own way by not receiving them. It's not because I am not grateful, but because I have contracted out of fear. 
 
To receive we need our own permission and it requires that we are open. If you throw a ball at a concrete wall, it will bounce back with force. The wall can't receive it. But if we throw a ball into an open glove, into a soft pillow, it will be received. We are no different. To feel full, we need to let ourselves receive. The gifts are already here. Abundance is already here. Fear keeps us from it and causes a self-perpetuating story of "not enough." We can start by receiving ourselves -- our own gifts, our talents, our resiliency, our creativity, our bodies. Then we can receive what is around us in all its forms. They didn't just get there. So much made this moment possible. 

When we love what's already here, we find there is an endless supply of what we need. We can give ourselves permission to receive and slow down to take it in -- all of what brought it to be.

Will desiring-mind go away? Probably not for me. But that's okay because I know that I can return, as many times as I need, to the present moment and reconnect to what's here. I can work through the fear and re-open. Receiving is a practice. In every moment we are receiving (this breath, this sound, this feeling, this sensation, this thought, this experience of being alive).


Wishing you a full week and all the permission you need to receive it.

🙏🌷
Jean

P.S.  Meditation gives us that training to stop and feel full from what's here. The trick is to practice when you feel good and when you don't. Drop-in meditations on Zoom continue every Tuesday & Friday morning and every Sunday evening. Be a part of a community that values the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment