Tuesday, May 3, 2022

How Do I Want To Meet This?



It is not uncommon for us to have to face things in the near future that feel hard, things that we may have to do, or even want to do, even as they produce a feeling of dread or fear. The reason why it feels hard doesn't really matter for what I am offering today. Of course, there is a reason and it likely has useful information for us to know, but even if we don't get into the why, we can ask ourselves a simple shifting question, "how do I want to meet this?" 


I tried this on today with something on my plate and it helped. This thing before me is something I need and want to do, but I lack clarity on the situation I'm stepping into and that uncertainty is uncomfortable. Rather than stew in the discomfort, I asked myself, "Jean, even if it stays unclear, how do you want to meet this occasion?" The answer was clear. Two words came, openness and playfulness. As soon as I said them, I felt a shift. There was a "yes" in response to those words. If I am going to do this thing, I might as well decide how I want to "be" in it. That's up to me. If I don't choose, then I am subject to whatever emotions and ways of being that come automatically and those might not be as pleasant. From here I asked, "well, what would help you to be open and playful?" More answers came that felt clear and "true." What does this process do? It moves me from dread to possibility, from powerlessness to power, from feeling fearful to feeling capable. 

My invitation this week is simple. See if there is anything you are not looking forward to, dreading, fearing, procrastinating about and ask yourself the question: how do I want to meet this? With what energy, insight, clarity of being do you want to show up with? If you are going to do it, you might as well make the best of it. How can you bring your best self to this moment, because it is a precious moment of your life. Hear whole words and sentences in return. Let it inform you and see how it shifts the energy inside. Even if the moment doesn't go as you intend it to, you will have brought your genuine and best self forward to the challenge and that is the most we can ask of ourselves.

I hope this simple shift in perspective comes in handy. It can be used again and again. Please write and let me know if the question shifts something for you!

Wishing you and beautiful first week of May. For all the moms out there and anyone who "mothers" in all the ways we can, I wish you a Happy Mother's Day. We get to celebrate the beautiful role we have been gifted with and honor ourselves for the love and care we give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment